This recipe is my favorite Rendang recipe from James Oesland’s book.
- 2 lb. beef cubes, cut 5-6 cm
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 5 whole cloves
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic, chopped
- 2 inches galangal
- 5 candlenuts
- 5 bay leaves
- 5-20 chillies (depending how hot you want it to be), chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 inches ginger
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- cinnamon sticks, thinly sliced (or 2 tbsp ground cinnamon)
- 7 lemon leaves (whole)
- 1 tbsp lemon leaves (sliced)
- Clean beef cubes, and put in a pot.
- Put #2 – #11 (except #8) in a blender until soft. Then, mix it with the beef. Fry together until you smell the fragrance of the spices being cooked.
- Add in coconut milk, lemon grass, cinnamon, and lemon leaves, bay leaves, and salt.
- Cook in medium heat until it boils. Then lower heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered. Mix every 15 minutes to prevent sticking. When the liquid evaporates, reduce heat to low and stir every 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the lemongrass and bay leaves.
- Serve with the shredded lemon leaves.