- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cm lengkuas, bruised
- 1 lemon grass stalk, bruised
- 2 daun jeruk purut (lime leaves)
- 1/2 kg brisket cut to 2×2 cm cubed
- 6 Keluwek
- 7 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. corriander seeds(use less if powder)
- 1 cm ginger
- 2 red chillies
- 4 candlenuts
- gula jawa/brown sugar
- Heat oil & fry the pounded spice paste for 1-2 minute
- Add lengkuas, lemongrass, & lime leaves. Fry ’till fragrant.
- Add cubed beef & 1 1/2 liter water. Cook on low heat until meat is tender & flavor of spices are absorbed.
- Serve hot with rice, and raw veggies (bean sprouts, cucumber). Also usually served with salted duck eggs, shrimp crackers, and other Indonesian dishes, such as, Empal, Telor Pindang, and the spicy sauce-Sambal Terasi.