- 1 fillo dough
- 1 1/2 cup grounded walnut
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 1 stick butter
- a thin long stick
For the syrup, you need:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 pieces of cloves
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- First prepare the syrup. Mix all the syrup ingredients in a saucepan and cook until sugar dissolves. Cool it down, or put in refrigerator.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Ground the walnut and mix with sugar. Grease a flat baking pan.
- Prepare a place to work on your baklava, such as your kitchen table. make sure it’s clean.
- Layer one sheet of fillo dough and brush with butter. Layer another sheet. Put the thin stick on the edge of the dough and roll just a little. Spread 2-3 tbsp of the walnut mix on the side of the stick from edge to edge. Roll the stick again while brushing the dough with butter. Keep on brushing it with butter while rolling it until it ends.
- Scrunch/push the edges to the middle and carefully push the rolled dough out of the stick. Now your dough looks like a long stick with pleated textures. Cut around every 3 inches lengthwise. You will have around 3 -4 baklava. Put them on the baking pan.
- Keep on doing the same thing, 2 fillo sheets at a time, until it finished.
- Bake in oven with 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until the color becomes golden brown.
- Take out and quickly pour syrup evenly on the pan. You will hear crinkly noises.
- After a few minutes, quickly take out the baklava and arrange them in a nice platter (before the baklava gets too soaky).